One Stop Express Student Services is your first stop to learn about tuition and fees, financial aid, and course registration. The application for summer financial aid is available from One Stop beginning February 1 each year.
Financial aid in the form of scholarships, loans, grants, and work study is available for students taking summer classes. Students who take at least 6 credit hours during the summer may use the HOPE Scholarship.*
To receive financial aid for summer classes, including the HOPE scholarship, students will submit a FAFSA and a UT application for summer aid.
SUMMER FINANCIAL AID FAST FACTS:
- Financial aid for summer sessions requires another aid application.
- Summer is a trailing semester, meaning that it is at the end of the financial aid year. To apply for summer aid in January or later, you need to complete the prior year’s FAFSA application (for 2015-2016). DEADLINE: April 1.
- Financial aid may be used for classes in the mini session and any other credit-bearing activity.
- If you’re a first-year student, you cannot get HOPE for the first summer (before your freshman year), but you can get other aid. The hours will count toward your 120-hour credit limit cap for HOPE.*
- If you’re very late applying for financial aid, like a few days before the payment due date, your aid package will likely not be ready and you will need to make other payment arrangements until it is complete.
- You have a certain amount of Pell Grant financial aid available for fall and spring. If you use it all fall and spring, you have no Pell Grant money available to pay for summer classes.
- You can request that your financial aid be disbursed in amounts that are spread equally among fall, spring and summer.
- You can return your financial aid refund check to the financial aid office. They can apply it to your account, and the aid will be available later in the aid year (like for summer) when you ask for it (no need to reapply).
- Waiting until summer to take loans for those classes will save you months of accrued interest!
*Using HOPE Scholarship funds to pay for summer classes affects your overall HOPE eligibility. Please read this page for more information about using the HOPE to pay for summer session classes.